First: Con or Bust is looking for someone who’s not using their Attending Membership to Sasquan, this year’s WorldCon, and would like to donate it (we’ve already used the memberships that Sasquan directly donated). Anyone who can do that, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Second: free memberships are currently available, first-come first-served, to the following upcoming cons:
Head to the Request Assistance page to claim these memberships. Memberships are also immediately available for Archipelacon and Pi-Con; see the Upcoming Cons page for details.
Third: the following cons have donated memberships that will be available during the next assistance request period (May 15-25) and thereafter, if unclaimed, so make your plans now:
Thanks for reading, and pass the word!
Reminder: Con or Bust will be accepting requests for assistance from fans of color/non-white fans to attend SFF cons through tomorrow, February 25. (Requests must be timestamped on or before 11:59 p.m. Eastern; I may or may not be awake to turn the form off.)
Here’s how to request assistance, and here’s the list of upcoming cons for which specific assistance is available. Please spread the word!
From now through February 25, Con or Bust is accepting requests for assistance from fans of color/non-white fans to attend upcoming SFF cons. Here’s how to request assistance; and here’s the current list of upcoming cons for which specific assistance is available.
In addition, Con or Bust’s annual online auction will take place in April this year, tentatively April 13-26. I will announce firm dates and the opening of auction item submissions in the next few weeks.
Please spread the word!
ETA February 13: this membership has been claimed!
Any SFF fans of color/non-white fans in Boston this weekend: Con or Bust has been offered a transferred membership to Boskone, February 13-15, 2015, at the Boston Westin Waterfront Hotel. Its Guests are: Steven Brust, Guest of Honor; Charles Lang and Wendy Snow-Lang, Official Artists; Maya and Jeff Bohnhoff, Featured Filkers; Robert K. Wiener, Special Guest; David L. Clements, Science Speaker; and Vincent Di Fate, NESFA Guest.
Again, Boskone starts tomorrow, Friday, February 13, so if you’re interested, head to the Request Assistance page to request the membership! (Also, Boskone has free programming from 2:00-6:00 on Friday, so if you have the afternoon open and can get there, check it out!)
During February 15-25, fans of color/non-white fans can request assistance to attend upcoming SFF cons, including various cons that have donated memberships. The latest con to donate memberships is Maneki Neko Con, October 9-11, 2015, Matteson, IL, USA. Maneki Neko Con is an all-ages science fiction, fantasy, anime, gaming, comics, and miscellaneous geeky fandom convention in Chicago’s south suburbs. It has donated two memberships to Con or Bust.
For all the cons that have donated memberships, check out the Upcoming Cons page, and to request memberships and other assistance from February 15-25, see the Request Assistance page. And please spread the word!
Reminder to fans of color/non-white fans: you can request free memberships to upcoming SFF cons, as well as monetary assistance, during February 15-25. Check out the Upcoming Cons page for the full list of cons that have donated assistance, and then take a look at the Request Assistance page to find out how Con or Bust works. Thanks, and spread the word!
Fans of color/non-white fans interested in SFF and SFF cons, I have three new con membership donations to announce. Available now:
Available in the Feb. 15-25 assistance request period:
Check out the full list of cons for which assistance is available now or in the upcoming request period, and spread the word!
From February 15-25, 2016 fans of color/non-white fans who are planning well ahead may request free memberships to Westercon 69, July 1-4, 2016 (note: not 2015), Portland, OR, USA. Westercon is an annual West Coast convention. Its 2016 Guests of Honor and Special Guests are: Writer Guest of Honor: John Scalzi; Special Guest: Charles Stross; Fan Guest of Honor: David D. Levine; Artist Guest of Honor: Theresa Mather. Westercon 69 has donated 10 attending memberships to Con or Bust.
The full list of other cons that have donated assistance may be found at the upcoming cons page; and here’s how to request assistance.
Reminder: Con or Bust will be accepting requests from fans of color/non-white fans to attend upcoming SFF cons from February 15 through 25. Here’s how to request assistance; here’s the list of upcoming cons for which specific assistance is available.
Make your plans accordingly, and please spread the word!
If you’re a fan of color/non-white fan and interested to going to an SFF con in the next few months—or planning ahead for Kitacon, a UK anime/geek con in the summer, for which registration opens, and probably closes, on January 1—check out the list of cons below! Request memberships immediately, first-come first-served, through the Request Assistance page.
- ConFusion, January 16-18, 2015, Detroit, MI, USA. ConFusion is a local/regional science fiction convention based in the Metro Detroit area. Its Guest of Honor is Karen Lord; its Science Guest of Honor is Dr. Cynthia Chestek; its Music Guest of Honor is Heather Dale; its Gaming Guests of Honor are Monte Cook and Shanna Germain; and its Fan Guest of Honor is Aaron Thul.
ConFusion has donated one membership to Con or Bust, which must be claimed by December 31, 2014.
- Arisia, January 16-19, 2015, Boston, MA, USA. Arisia is New England’s largest and most diverse science fiction and fantasy convention. Its Author Guest of Honor is N. K. Jemisin; its Artist Guest of Honor is Lee Moyer; and its Fan Guest of Honor is Colette H. Fozard.
Arisia has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, of which one remains, and a hotel room, which has been claimed.
- FOGcon, March 6-8, 2015, Walnut Creek, CA, USA. Friends of the Genre (FOGcon) is a literary-themed San Francisco Bay Area SF/F con in the tradition of Wiscon. Its 2015 theme is The Traveler and its Honored Guests are Kim Stanley Robinson and Catherynne M. Valente.
FOGcon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, of which one remains.
- (new!) Escapade, March 6-8, 2015, Los Angeles, CA, USA. Escapade is a weekend-long con attended mostly but not exclusively by women, all of whom are slash fans of all fandoms and flavors. Attendance is capped at 150.
Escapade has donated one membership to Con or Bust.
- Chi-Fi, March 19-22, 2015, Chicago, IL, USA. Chi-Fi is a convention celebrating geekdom in downtown Chicago.
Chi-Fi has donated thirty passes to Con or Bust.
- (new!) Norwescon, April 2-5, 2015, SeaTac, WA, USA. Norwescon is the Pacific Northwest’s Premiere Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention and one of the largest regional Science Fiction and Fantasy conventions in the United States. Its Guests of Honor are George R. R. Martin (Author), Julie Dillon (Artist), Amy Mainzer (Science), and Random House (Spotlight Publisher).
Norwescon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust.
- (new!) Kitacon, July 31-August 2, 2015, Birmingham, UK. Kitacon is the UK’s largest residential anime/geek convention, and is entirely not-for-profit and fan-run.
Kitacon has donated three tickets to Con or Bust. Those interested should request them from Con or Bust as soon as possible, because registration opens at noon GMT on January 1, 2015, and is likely to sell out within hours.