Fans of color/non-white fans: there are still five donated memberships available to Nine Worlds Convention (8-10 August 2014, London, England, UK). These must be claimed by August 1st—that’s tomorrow—so get them now!
Also, there is still an abundance of free memberships to Loncon 3 (August 14-18, 2014, London, England, UK), this year’s Worldcon. These can be claimed even while the con’s in progress! But also available now are two child memberships, for attendees aged between 6 and 15 years on 14 August 2014, thanks to an individual donor. There’s a track of really great workshops for kids and a programming track specifically about Young Adult fiction, so if you are between 6 and 15 years old, or your friends or family include someone who is, this is a great opportunity.
Finally, two memberships are still available to Shamrokon (22-24 August 2014, Dublin, Ireland), this year’s Eurocon.
Claim these through the Request Assistance page, and please spread the word!
At Strange Horizons, Rochita Loenen-Ruiz reviews In Other Words, a chapbook anthology created and edited by Saira Ali and Julia Rios to benefit Con or Bust. Loenen-Ruiz calls it “an impressive chapbook . . . [with] poems and fictions that you will want to read for yourself. They are in conversation—not just with the reader but also with each other and with the world.”
Check out the review (or the table of contents, behind the jump), and then pre-order! The print edition will be hand-printed on a nineteenth century letterpress and is $25 plus $3 for shipping, and 6.25% sales tax if your shipping address is in Massachusetts. The ebook alone is $8, and will come for free with the print edition. Pre-order by emailing email@example.com to receive a PayPal invoice.
Read More →
The following memberships are currently available free, first-come first-served, to fans of color/non-white fans. Please see the Request Assistance page to claim them.
- (new) Shamrokon, 22-24 August 2014, Dublin, Ireland. Shamrokon is the European science fiction convention (Eurocon) which is held in a different country each year. Its Guests of Honor are Michael Carroll, Jim Fitzpatrick, Seanan McGuire, Andrzej Sapkowski, and Ylva Spångberg.
An individual has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, which must be claimed by August 10.
- Nine Worlds Convention, 8-10 August 2014, London, England, UK. It’s about gaming, film, cosplay, fandom, literature, science, geek culture, meeting people and having a really big party.
Nine Worlds has donated ten memberships to Con or Bust, which must be claimed by August 1, 2014; (edit) five memberships remain.
- Loncon 3, August 14-18, 2014, London, England, UK. Loncon is the 2014 World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon). Its Guests of Honor are Iain M Banks (in Memoriam), John Clute, Malcolm Edwards, Chris Foss, Jeanne Gomoll, Robin Hobb, and Bryan Talbot.
Loncon has donated five attending memberships to Con or Bust and has matched up individuals’ donations of attending memberships up to another twenty. At present, eleven attending memberships have been claimed and thirty-six remain available.
An announcement regarding a project to benefit Con or Bust:
Saira Ali and Julia Rios are pleased to announce the table of contents for In Other Words, a chapbook of poetry and flash fiction to benefit Con or Bust. The chapbook will be hand-printed on a nineteenth century letterpress, and includes work from Hugo Award winning and nominated authors.
We are also opening pre-orders now, and for this weekend only, we are offering a special for pre-orders made during Readercon: all print edition pre-orders will receive a special broadside of Shweta Narayan’s stunning poem “Nettle-stung,” illustrated by the poet [teasers for which are included in this post]. The broadsides are printed and will be mailed next week, or you can flag Saira down at Readercon to get one.
For now, you can pre-order by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll send you a PayPal invoice. The print edition is $25 plus $3 for shipping, and 6.25% sales tax if your shipping address is in Massachusetts. The ebook alone is $8, and will come for free with the print edition.
Table of Contents:
- “Nettle-stung” by Shweta Narayan
- “A Corpse Full of Birds” by John Chu
- “If They Catch Me, I’m Using Your Name” by Nisi Shawl
- “Volcano Woman” by Kiini Ibura Salaam
- “Self-Portrait” by Emily Jiang
- “The Bean Between the E and the I” by LaShawn Wanak
- “Every Day of the Dead” by Sabrina Vourvoulias
- “The Adventures of Ja’far al-Barmaki” by Sofia Samatar
- “Ce Qu’on Dit Du Vent” by Amal el-Mohtar
- “What is Said of the Wind” translated by Amal el-Mohtar
- “Crystal” by Ken Liu
- “Ancestors” by JT Stewart
- “After the Near-Miss by the Planet Destroying Asteroid” by Rahul Kanakia
- “Stolen” by David Findlay
- “Pretty Apocalypse” by Lisa Bradley
- “Eating Words” by Yoon Ha Lee
- “Drive Careful” by Tom Greene
Memberships now: Con or Bust still has lots of free memberships for fans of color/non-white fans to attend Nine Worlds Convention and Loncon 3 in London, England this August. Request them now! See the Upcoming Cons page for more details.
Memberships (and other assistance) later: From August 15-25, Con or Bust will take requests for assistance from fans of color/non-white fans to attend all upcoming SFF cons. Here’s how to request assistance.
A full list of cons for which specific assistance has been donated can be found at the Upcoming Cons page, but I wanted to highlight the following additions and important information.
First: World Fantasy Con 2014 (November 6-9, 2014, Arlington, VA, USA) has donated a hotel room for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night, as well as two banquet tickets. WFC has reached its preliminary membership cap and is in the process of establishing a wait list for memberships, but it is holding two membership spots for Con or Bust attendees. Therefore: (1) the hotel room and banquet tickets will not be available after the August request period; (2) if you’re interested in requesting any Con or Bust assistance to attend WFC, and you do not already have a membership, you should monitor WFC’s website for information on a waiting list.
(Con or Bust also happily accepts donations of transferred memberships from individuals! Email email@example.com if you have a membership to WFC you can’t use.)
Second: two cons have donated assistance to Con or Bust that can be requested from August 15-25. They are:
Additional cons have donated assistance that can be requested in August; check the Upcoming Cons page for details. And please spread the word!