There’s about 48 hours left in Con or Bust’s annual auction to help fans of colors/non-white fans attend SFF cons in the coming twelve months. To find cool things, you can browse the 2015 auction tags, or sort the Google Docs index. I have also added a column to the Google Docs index noting auctions with three or more bids that still look like darn good deals to me, so check that out.
Below I’m going to highlight auctions that I think deserve some more attention, regardless of how many bids they already have.
- Have you seen the people offering critiques this year? Experienced editors and authors, many at still very reasonable prices. Check out the critique tag to find them!
- There are also two informational interviews with smart, knowledgeable, and generally awesome people available (without any bids right now, even!): editor Liz Gorinsky and author Tobias S. Buckell. I can personally vouch for their being great people to talk to.
- Bidding has been pretty quiet on jewelry this year, and there’s some beautiful stuff, some of it custom-made and some ready to wear now.
- Susan Palwick has offered four amazing hand-woven scarves, some of hand-spun wool, which even come with their own short stories! Only one of these has attracted competitive bidding.
- Terri Windling has offered a set of four stunning signed art prints, which are not currently being sold.
- Farscape fans! There are two auctions that include pieces of Moya, plus a shooting script and a promo card! Actually, never mind, I just remembered I wanted to bid in one of these, don’t go look. =>
- Have a sweet tooth? There’s candy from the UK or a really big batch of custom chocolate on offer.
- Finally, there are so many cool books–rare books, forthcoming books, big stacks of books, expensive academic books–being offered that I’m having trouble figuring out what to highlight. Diana M. Pho’s donations include a great range of academic and popular works? Sherwood Smith is offering not only to sign her Inda series, but to provide drawings, maps, or doodles? There’s not one but two copies of an extremely limited edition of Charlaine Harris’ final Sookie book, Dead Ever After, which are currently going for bargain prices? Tamora Pierce went above and beyond with signed sets of practically everything she’s ever written? I really can’t do this category justice–please browse the index and see what catches your eye!
Feel free to chime in with your own favorite items, and please, spread the word! Bidding ends this Sunday, May 3, at 4:00 p.m. EDT (time zone conversions, countdown); see the auction information page for all the bidding details, including the new extension for last-minute bidding.
This auction is now over. Check out other ways you can support Con or Bust.