Reminder to fans of color/non-white fans:
Con or Bust currently has many free memberships available to upcoming cons, first-come first-served. It will also be taking requests for monetary assistance to attend cons, plus free memberships to other cons that are more distant in time, from August 15-25, 2015.
To learn how to request assistance, see the Request Assistance page. For the most up-to-date list of cons to which assistance is available, see the Upcoming Cons page; this is also reproduced behind the “read more” as of today.
Please mark your calendars and spread the word!
Available immediately, first-come first-served
- BristolCon, September 26th 2015, Bristol, England UK. BristolCon is a fun, friendly and informative one-day con. Its Guests of Honour in 2015 will be writers Jasper Fforde and Jaine Fenn, with a possible artist GoH to be confirmed.
BristolCon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, which should be claimed by the end of August; one remains.
- Sirens, October 8–11, 2015, Denver, CO, USA. Sirens is a conference dedicated to the remarkable women of fantasy literature: readers, authors, publishing professionals, scholars, educators, librarians, and even characters. Its Guests of Honor are Rae Carson, Kate Elliott, and Yoon Ha Lee, and its theme is rebels and revolutionaries.
An individual has donated two registrations and shuttle tickets, one of which is still available. (Sirens also donated three registrations and shuttle tickets, which have all been claimed.)
- JOFCon MSP, October 9-11, 2015, Minneapolis, MN, USA. JOFs are Journeymen of Fandom, including Journeywomen, Journeypersons, Journeybots, Journeyfolk, Journeyfen, Journeyworkers, & Journeyplatypi. All are welcome, so long as they’re interested in learning more about fanac (“fannish activities”).
JOFCon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust.
- Octocon, October 9-11, Dublin, Ireland. Octocon is the National Irish Science Fiction Convention. Its Guests of Honor this year are Maura McHugh and Emma Newman.
Octocon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, of which one remains.
- GeekGirlCon, October 10-11, 2015, Seattle, WA, USA. GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women world-wide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events.
GeekGirlCon has donated ten passes to Con or Bust, of which four remain. I Need Diverse Games has also sponsored two passes.
- Wincon, October 15-18, 2015, Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Wincon’s mission is to bring together a diverse group of internet-based media fans in an inclusive environment to engage in fannish activities and foster meaningful connections. It aims to provide programming created and led by attendees, on topics drawn from a variety of sources and involving everything from detailed meta to wildly creative fanworks, encompassing all aspects of fandom culture.
Wincon has donated ten memberships to Con or Bust.
- Arcana, October 23-25, 2015, St. Paul, MN, USA. Arcana is a small horror/dark fantasy con; its Guest of Honor is Catherine Lundoff.
Ms. Lundoff has offered to donate one membership to Arcana.
Available during the next request-assistance period (August 15-25)
- Arisia, January 15-18, 2016, Boston, MA, USA. Arisia is New England’s largest and most diverse science fiction and fantasy convention. Its Author Guest of Honor is John Scalzi; its Artist Guest of Honor is Johnna Y. Klukas; and its Fan Guest of Honor is Pablo Miguel Alberto Vazquez III.
Arisia has donated six memberships and two hotel rooms (double beds, available Friday through Monday) to Con or Bust.
- Boskone, February 19-21, 2016, Boston, MA, USA. Boskone is New England’s longest running science fiction and fantasy convention. Its Guest of Honor is Garth Nix; its Official Artist is Richard Anderson; its Special Guests are Arnie & Cathy Fenner; its Featured Filkers are Vixy & Tony; and the NESFA Press Guest is Bob Eggleton.
Boskone has donated two memberships to Con or Bust.
- AnomalyCon, March 25-27, 2016, Denver, CO, USA. AnomalyCon is a steampunk and alternate history convention. Its featured confirmed special guests (so far!) are Shelley Adina, Elizabeth Bear, Delilah S. Dawson, Frenchy and the Punk, Jaymee Goh, Emmy Jackson, David Malki !, Lisa Mantchev, The Cog Is Dead, Chuck Wendig, and Brenna Yovanoff.
AnomalyCon has donated twenty (20) passes to Con or Bust, to be claimed by March 1, 2016. (Note that AnomalyCon has a policy of legal names on badges.)
(AnomalyCon also has a separate sponsored pass program for those experiencing financial hardship, so if you’re not a fan of color/non-white fan and need assistance to go to AnomalyCon, check it out!)
- Mancunicon, 25-28 March 2016, Manchester, England, UK. Mancunicon is the 2016 Eastercon, and its Guests are Aliette de Bodard, Dave Clements, Ian McDonald and Sarah Pinborough.
Mancunicon has donated three memberships to Con or Bust, of which one remains.
- Satellite 5, 28th – 29th May 2016, Glasgow, Scotland, UK. Satellite focusses on the interface between science fact and science fiction; Satellite 5 heads back into orbit to look at science and SF relating to space stations, orbiting habitats, floating cities etc. The Guest of Honor is Jaine Fenn.
Satellite has donated one membership to Con or Bust.
- Au Contraire 2016, 3-5 June, 2016, Wellington, New Zealand. Au Contraire is the 37th National Science Fiction & Fantasy Convention for New Zealand (NatCon for short). Its Guests include Stephanie Paul (Iron Sky), Martin Wallace (Treefrog Games), and A.J. Fitzwater.
Au Contraire has donated one membership to Con or Bust.
- Westercon 69, July 1-4, 2016, Portland, OR, USA. Westercon is an annual West Coast convention. Its 2016 Guests of Honor and Special Guests are: Writer Guest of Honor: John Scalzi; Special Guest: Charles Stross; Fan Guest of Honor: David D. Levine; Artist Guest of Honor: Theresa Mather.
Westercon 69 has donated ten attending memberships to Con or Bust.
- CON.TXT, July 29-31, 2016, Arlington, VA, USA. CON.TXT is a media convention with a focus on fanworks; the proposed theme for its tenth anniversary is “Queering the Canon!”
CON.TXT has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, which must be claimed before May 2016. In addition, all attendees must be 18 or older on July 29, 2016.