Con or Bust, Inc., is a tax-exempt not-for-profit organization (EIN: 81-2141738) that helps people of color/non-white people attend SFF conventions (how to request assistance). Con or Bust isn’t a scholarship and isn’t limited to the United States, to particular types of con-goers, or to specific cons; its goal is simply to help fans of color go to SFF cons and be their own awesome selves. It is funded through donations and an online auction held annually. Learn more about supporting Con or Bust.
Con or Bust was created in 2009. From 2010-2016, Kate Nepveu administered Con or Bust and the Carl Brandon Society acted as Con or Bust’s fiscal agent. Con or Bust became a separate corporation in April 2016.
Con or Bust’s current Board of Directors is:
- Zen Cho, author of Sorcerer to the Crown;
- Tanya DePass, founder and Community Manager for I Need Diverse Games (@INeedDivGms);
- Kate Nepveu, creator of Con or Bust (Con or Bust Secretary/Treasurer);
- Mark Oshiro, author of the Mark Does Stuff world at MarkReads.net and MarkWatches.net (Con or Bust President); and
- Diana M. Pho, founder of Beyond Victoriana and Tor Books editor.
All Directors volunteer their time and represent only themselves, not their employers or anyone else.
Con or Bust, Inc.’s corporate documents, annual reports, and so forth can all be viewed in a public Google Drive folder. Here are its current documents and direct links to them:
- Certificate of Incorporation: certified copy or easier-to-read non-certified copy (personal addresses have been redacted).
- Minutes of April 17, 2016 Board of Directors meeting.
- By-laws adopted April 17, 2016.
- Conflict of interest policy adopted April 17, 2016.
- Form 1023-EZ, application for recognition of exemption under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) (personal phone number redacted), filed April 17, 2016.
- Determination letter from the Internal Revenue Service stating that Con or Bust, Inc., is a tax-exempt organization under 501(c)(3), dated April 21, 2016.
The pre-incorporation history of Con or Bust has been moved to a separate page; eventually, links to past documents, reports, etc., will be collected there as well.
Kate Nepveu is the Secretary/Treasurer of Con or Bust and handles day-to-day business; she can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can reach the Board of Directors at email@example.com.
Con or Bust’s mailing address is:
P.O. Box 9432
Niskayuna, NY 12309
Con or Bust’s logo is a dinocorn, designed and donated by an anonymous artist. In 2009, some fans of color sarcastically adopted the label to refer to their supposedly-mythological existence. Also, dinocorns are awesome. (And on purchasable T-shirts.)
Last updated May 24, 2016.