The following upcoming cons have donated memberships to Con or Bust:
- Octocon, October 9-11, Dublin, Ireland. Octocon is the National Irish Science Fiction Convention. Its Guests of Honor this year are Maura McHugh and Emma Newman.
Octocon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust.
- AnomalyCon, March 25-27, 2016, Denver, CO, USA. AnomalyCon is a steampunk and alternate history convention. Its 2016 theme is Journey on the Silk Road, and its featured confirmed special guests (so far!) are Shelley Adina, Elizabeth Bear, Delilah S. Dawson, Frenchy and the Punk, Jaymee Goh, Emmy Jackson, David Malki !, Lisa Mantchev, The Cog Is Dead, Chuck Wendig, and Brenna Yovanoff.
AnomalyCon has donated twenty (20) passes to Con or Bust, to be claimed by March 1, 2016. (Note that AnomalyCon has a policy of legal names on badges.)
(AnomalyCon also has a separate sponsored pass program for those experiencing financial hardship, so if you’re not a fan of color/non-white fan and need assistance to go to AnomalyCon, check it out!)
These memberships will be available during Con or Bust’s next assistance request period, May 15-25, and thereafter; see the Upcoming Cons page for more cons that have donated memberships.
Con or Bust also has memberships available immediately for the following upcoming cons:
- WisCon, May 22-25, 2015, Madison, WI, USA. WisCon is the world’s leading feminist science fiction convention. Its Guests of Honor are Alaya Dawn Johnson and Kim Stanley Robinson.
WisCon donated six memberships and a dessert ticket to Con or Bust, which have all been claimed; and three individuals have also donated memberships, of which one remains.
- Archipelacon, June 25-28, 2015, Mariehamn, Åland, Finland. Archipelacon is the Nordic SF & Fantasy convention (but its main language will be English). Its Guests of Honor are George R.R. Martin, Johanna Sinisalo, and Karin Tidbeck.
Archipelacon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust.
- Pi-Con, July 31-August 2, 2015, Windsor Locks, CT, USA. Pi-Con is “the friendliest little convention in New England”; its Guest of Honor is Tanya Huff and its Guest of Awesome is Vikki Ciaffone.
Pi-Con has donated six memberships to Con or Bust.
- Nine Worlds, 7-9 August 2015, London, UK. Nine Worlds is about gaming, film, cosplay, fandom, literature, science, geek culture, meeting people and having a really big party.
Nine Worlds has donated twenty (20) passes to Con or Bust, to be claimed by 1 August, of which 18 remain.
Please spread the word!
I’m very pleased to report that the final total of pledged bids in the 2015 Con or Bust auction stands at $10,139. Donations during the auction, including the matching gift, bring the total for the Con or Bust’s 2015-2016 funds to $12,726. This doesn’t beat last year’s record, but is still the second-highest amount raised during the auction period in Con or Bust’s existence.
If you haven’t paid for your auction item yet, check out this post for information and to ask any questions. And if you have feedback about the auction, I would be very glad to hear it. I’m particularly interested in what people thought of the new last-minute bidding—in terms of the load the website was under, it seemed to work pretty well to me—and any suggestions for people who might donate items next year.
I’m also pleased to report on Con or Bust’s activity since the last auction. From March 2014 through May 2015, Con or Bust provided assistance 95 times to help 85 different people attend 25 different cons. Of those 95 times, 41 did not include monetary assistance, only donated memberships (or, in one case, a hotel room donated by a convention). Monetary assistance was provided 54 times, sometimes in conjunction with donated memberships. The awards ranged from $25 to $2,300; 34 of the 54 awards were $500 or less. This is a huge expansion of Con or Bust’s reach, and I’m very proud of it and grateful for all the community support that made it possible.
Thanks again for all your help and support during the auction and over the past year. And, of course, you can always support Con or Bust by donating money or con memberships and by spreading the word about the availability of assistance, including free memberships available now and monetary assistance to be requested from May 15-25.
Jim C. Hines today announced publication of Invisible 2, a ebook anthology of essays about representation in science fiction and fantasy, all proceeds from which benefit Con or Bust.
The anthology contains 19 essays; an introduction by Aliette de Bodard; and a list of all the suggested books and stories from the comments and conversations online (full Table of Contents is behind the jump). The cover art is by Mark Ferrari.
It can be purchased at:
(iBooks availability is apparently forthcoming.)
Check it out, and thanks to Jim and all the contributors for agreeing to benefit Con or Bust!
Read More →
From now through May 25, 2015, Con or Bust is accepting requests from fans of color/non-white fans to attend upcoming SFF cons. Here’s how to request assistance; here’s the list of upcoming cons for which specific assistance is available.
Please spread the word!
Reminder: Con or Bust will be accepting requests for assistance from fans of color/non-white fans to attend SFF cons through Monday, May 25. (Requests must be timestamped on or before 11:59 p.m. Eastern; I may or may not be awake to turn the form off.)
Here’s how to request assistance, and here’s the list of upcoming cons for which specific assistance is available. Please spread the word!
The following free memberships are now available for fans of color/non-white fans:
- Sasquan, August 19-23, 2015, Spokane, WA, USA. Sasquan is the 73rd World Science Fiction Convention (WorldCon). Its guests of
honor are Brad Foster, David Gerrold, Vonda N. McIntyre, Tom Smith, and Leslie Turek.
Sasquan donated three attending memberships to Con or Bust, which have been claimed. An individual has also donated an attending membership to Con or Bust. (EDIT: now claimed.)
- BristolCon, September 26th 2015, Bristol, UK. BristolCon is a fun, friendly and informative one-day con. Its Guests of Honour in 2015 will be writers Jasper Fforde and Jaine Fenn, with a possible artist GoH to be confirmed.
BristolCon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, which should be claimed by the end of August.
- Sirens, October 8–11, 2015, Denver, CO, USA. Sirens is a conference dedicated to the remarkable women of fantasy literature: readers, authors, publishing professionals, scholars, educators, librarians, and even characters. Its Guests of Honor are Rae Carson, Kate Elliott, and Yoon Ha Lee, and its theme is rebels and revolutionaries.
Sirens has donated three registrations and shuttle tickets to Con or Bust. (EDIT: two claimed.)
These can be requested individually or, through May 25, as part of a broader assistance request. Please see the Request Assistance page for more information, and please spread the word!