Last updated March 21, 2017.
This page lists the upcoming cons for which specific assistance (usually donated memberships) is available for fans of color/non-white fans. They are divided into two lists depending on how long it is until the con. If a con will take place before or shortly after the next assistance period, the listed membership can be requested immediately, first-come first-served. If the con is further away, memberships should be requested during the next quarterly application period, because it’s more efficient to allocate memberships along with other assistance that might be needed. Go to the Request Assistance page for the appropriate form.
(This page also lists upcoming cons for which assistance was donated by the con but is no longer available, for people’s general information.)
All descriptions are from the cons’ websites.
Available immediately, first-come first-served
- TGIF/F, April 7-9, 2017, Los Angeles, CA, USA. TGIF/F is a multi-fandom femslash convention designed to bring together various fan communities to build connections, encourage discussion, and create art; its programming includes panels on SFF genre works, fantasy, video games, and more topics of SFF interest.
TGIF/F has donated five passes to Con or Bust, to be claimed by April 6, 2017.
- LexiCon, 2-4 June 2017, Taupō, New Zealand. LexiCon is the 38th New Zealand National Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention. Its Guest of Honour is Seanan McGuire (aka Mira Grant); its Fan Guest of Honour is John Toon; and its Ghost of Honour is Orville, a rat in the Hobbit films.
LexiCon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, to be claimed by May 25, 2017.
- CrossingsCon, August 4–August 6, 2017, Long Beach, CA, USA. CrossingsCon is this universe’s first Young Wizards convention, and is two days of panels, readings, transformative works, discussions, meta, and hugs, with some wonderful special guests and a third day of offsite events. Its Guests of Honor are Emily Skrutskie and Mark Oshiro (current Con or Bust President!).
CrossingsCon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, to be claimed by July 15.
- Worldcon 75, 9-13 August, 2017, Helsinki, Finland. Worldcon 75 is the annual World Science Fiction Convention for 2017. Its Guests of Honor are John-Henri Holmberg, Nalo Hopkinson, Johanna Sinisalo, Claire Wendling, and Walter Jon Williams.
Worldcon 75 donated 25 attending memberships and 25 hotel room nights, all of which have been claimed; four memberships were donated by individuals, and two remain available. Note: one of these is a membership for a first-time Worldcon attendee.
- Kitacon Quest, 18th to 20th August 2017, Coventry, UK. Kitacon is the UK’s largest residential, non-profit, anime and geek culture convention celebrating popular fandoms, Japanese culture and geekery.
Kitacon has donated two standard tickets to Con or Bust, to be claimed by July 15, 2017; one remains available.
- FantasyCon 2017, 29th September – 1st October, 2017, Peterborough UK. Fantasycon is an essential annual destination for readers, writers, artists, editors, and publishers of all things Fantasy, Horror and Science Fiction, run in partnership with the British Fantasy Society.
FantasyCon has donated two weekend memberships to Con or Bust, to be claimed by August 31, 2017.
- OryCon, November 17-19, 2017, Portland, OR, USA. OryCon is Oregon’s premier, fan run, annual science fiction/fantasy convention held in Portland since 1979. Its Guests of Honor are Timothy Zahn; Briana Lawrence (Brichibi Cosplays) and Jessica Walsh (Snow Tigra); David Boop; and Sarah Clemens.
OryCon has donated ten memberships to Con or Bust, to be claimed by October 31, 2017; eight remain available.
Upcoming Cons that Donated Claimed/Now-Unavailable Assistance
- MidSouthCon, March 24–26, 2017, Memphis, TN, USA. MidSouthCon is the longest-running annual ran-run multi-genre Science Fiction Convention in the Mid-South. Its GoHs are: Author GoH – Jack Campbell; Comics GoH – Tom DeFalco; Science GoH – Les Johnson; Artist GoH – Matt Stawicki; Gaming GoH – Keith Baker; Editor GoH – Allan Gilbreath; Toastmaster – Michael Bielaczyc; and Toastmaster – Paul Bielaczyc.
An individual donated one membership to MidSouthCon, which was not claimed by the deadline.
- Lunacon, April 7-9, 2017, Tarrytown, NY, USA. Lunacon is the New York area’s longest-running Science Fiction convention, held a short trip north of New York City in Westchester County. Its guests are: Writer Guest of Honor Ben Bova; Artist Guest of Honor Bob Eggleton; Fan Guest of Honor Roberta Rogow; Musical Guests Boogie Knights; Special Guest Artist Marianne Plumridge.
Lunacon donated two memberships to Con or Bust, which were not claimed by March 17, 2017.
- Norwescon, April 13–16, 2017, Seattle, WA, USA. Norwescon is the Pacific Northwest’s premier science fiction and fantasy convention and one of the largest regional science fiction and fantasy conventions in the United States. Its Guests of Honor are Cory & Catska Ench (Artists), Ethan Siegel (Science), Nancy Kress (Toastmaster), and Angry Robot Books (Spotlight Publisher).
Norwescon has donated two memberships to Con or Bust, which have been claimed.
- StokerCon, April 27-30, 2017, Long Beach, CA, USA. StokerCon is the annual convention of The Horror Writers Association (HWA), the premier organization of writers and publishers of horror and dark fantasy. This will be its second annual convention and will be held aboard the legendary (and haunted) Queen Mary in Long Beach, California. The Bram Stoker Awards (R) Banquet takes place on the evening of Saturday, April 29th. Guests of Honor include George R.R. Martin, Elizabeth Hand, Chuck Wendig, Peter Crowther, Bill Bridges, Tananarive Due, Gretchen McNeil, Becky Spratford, Stephen Graham Jones and Toastmaster Nancy Holder.
StokerCon donated six memberships to Con or Bust; four were claimed by the deadline of March 15, 2017.
- WisCon, May 26-29, 2017, Madison, WI, USA. WisCon is a 1,000-member science fiction convention with a feminist/social justice focus. Its Guests of Honor are Amal El-Mohtar and Kelly Sue DeConnick.
Individuals have donated three memberships to WisCon and two dessert tickets, which have all been claimed.